Thursday, May 12, 2011

Over-ripe Banana

I stopped work slightly early today and headed off to London to take part in the World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF)'s 'Beat the Banana' London fun run in Hyde Park. It was time for the third event in my Project Five O race schedule. After entering Hyde Park I was dazzled by a riot of colour as I made my way to the start via the gardens just inside the Queen Elizabeth Gates.


By contrast the scene by the bandstand grew increasingly yellow as the competitors assembled in anticipation of the start.


'Beat the Banana' is a 5k run with a twist. The banana, who was male, looked remarkably fit and possessed impressively muscular legs. He set off 30 seconds before the rest of us, whose task it was to get to the finish line before him. I don't know how many people managed this, but the nearest I got to the banana was during the warm up. When I enquired after his whereabouts at the 3k mark, a marshall informed me that he had passed by a long time since. At a rough estimate I finished around the middle of the 500 strong field, so I would be surprised if more than 100 runners managed to beat him.

A sea of yellow at the start

They really should have had three bananas. A green one one to challenge the serious athletes, a firm ripe yellow one for the slightly less speedy and an over-ripe brown speckled one for veterans and other plodders like myself. I think I might suggest this to the WCRF for next year, as it would have been nice to have a realistic chance of beating a banana given the name of the event.

Nevertheless, for me, the run was a great success. I kept up a good pace all the way round, overtaking many runners half my age in the process. Undeterred by the erratic placing of the km markers that meant I had no firm idea of what my time might be until the finishing line was in sight, my time of 28 minutes 42 seconds was a full 7 minutes quicker than my only previous 5k, which admittedly I'd run wearing a Santa suit whilst feeling decidedly under the weather. 28:42, though, not bad for an over-ripe banana!

So, my first PB of Project Five O - a great feeling even though 5k was always by far going to be the easiest one to achieve. Because of this my real aim for this race was to go below 30 minutes as to do so would give me genuine hope of being able to better my best times for 10k and 10 miles before the end of the year. Cracking 30 by over a minute was especially pleasing, although there's still work to be done. As yet I don't thinkI could maintain today's pace for another 5k but I'm definitely getting there.

If you can't beat it, eat it!

Everyone received a medal and goody bag at the finish line. Amongst other things the goody bag contained a banana, my third of the day.


I chose this event because my schedule required a 5K and it sounded great fun. It scored well on both counts, but I want to finish with a few words about the organisers. The WCRF is part of a global network of charities carrying out and disseminating research on cancer prevention, a key element of which of course is physical exercise. You can read more about their work by clicking on this link. Asking for sponsorship always seems rather awkward, and having raised a total of over £5000 for the Down's Syndrome Association and Breakthrough Breast Cancer from my three London Marathon runs, I didn't feel it appropriate to ask people to sponsor me for a fun event requiring relatively little effort on my part. Instead I have made my own donation to this worthwhile charity over and above the entry fee. Nevertheless, if you do feel suitably moved to throw a few quid the WCRF's way, you can do so via the following link.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see that reaching Five-0 hasn't affected the quality of your puns! Cakey B

    ReplyDelete