Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Behind the mic



I made my debut as a recording artist today! Well, perhaps 'artist' is stretching it a little, my performance was more in the style of Hugh Edwards than Placido Domingo but nevertheless, there I was in a small soundproofed room waiting for the red light to come on before reading from my script to my audience of the producer and sound engineer on the other side of the glass. I have plenty of experience of public speaking, and so was surprised to discover how nervous I felt in the intimate surroundings of the recording booth. Fortunately I don't struggle with a stammer like King George VI, portrayed so brilliantly by Colin Firth in 'The King's Speech', but the tension I felt immediately before starting to speak has made me realise even more just how brave King George was in overcoming his impediment, especially as his inspirational wartime speeches were broadcast to a live audience listening on their wirelesses. What's more, unlike Bertie, I had the luxury of being able to start again if I hesitated or stumbled over my words.

So, what was I recording? Let me guess what you're thinking. My blog has been discovered by a famous publishing house, who are in the process of turning it into a bestseller and have contracted me, as the author, to record the audio version of the book in time for the 'humorous stocking filler' market for Christmas. A fierce auction for the movie rights will undoubtedly follow.

Good try, but sadly the reality is a little more mundane, although still interesting I feel. I am currently heading a team writing a new online version of an Open University module and, along with a colleague, was recording audio introductions for each of the 7 study blocks within the module. One of the things that has impressed me throughout my association with the OU (both as a student and subsequently as an employee) has been the exceptionally high production standards it applies across all of its learning materials, whether in print or other media. The OU has been in existence for over 40 years now, and my early memories of it as I was growing up consist of programmes on BBC2 at unsociable hours typically featuring a scruffy bloke with a beard writing incomprehensible equations on a blackboard or trying to explain something scientific using dodgy models made out of polystyrene.

Things are much slicker and more professional looking nowadays. I had worked with Mike, today's producer, and sound engineer Steve when filming some sequences in a primary school in Cardiff earlier in the year, and was extremely impressed with their skill and professionalism. Although freelance, both do a lot of work for the OU, but Steve in particular works much more widely and has recently had assignments at the Royal Wedding and on Doctor Who. His studio, a purpose built extension to his house, is impressive with the full range of knobs and slidey bits.

After my initial stage (or should that be studio) fright, I relaxed considerably and started to enjoy myself. Each section was first rehearsed and then recorded at least twice, enhanced each time by acting on Mike and Steve's feedback - 'a little more inflexion on that word would be good' or 'those two words ran into each other a little, just slow down a fraction at that point'. After finishing all of my bits, Mike got me to do the introduction one final time. He told me that he does this because often people take time to warm to the task and their opening words can sound a bit flat or stilted. Or probably just plain terrified in my case! The end result sounded pleasingly good, even though I say so myself.

All in all, a new experience for me and a fascinating morning. Perhaps I'll branch out into poetry reading sometime soon. Hang on, I can feel a sonnet coming on...

'Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day .......'

No comments:

Post a Comment