Sunday, October 9, 2011

To My Herts Content

This morning I took part in my final 10k of Project Five O, the Herts 10k. After a very encouraging time of 1:04:26 at Newham back in March, my subsequent three 10k attempts have plateaued out around the much slower 1:09 mark, and even with an increase of intensity in my training in the two weeks since the Windsor half marathon, I was not expecting today to get anywhere near my sub one hour 10k PB from 2005. Instead my hope was simply for an encouraging performance as I start to build up in earnest for the year's piece de resistance, the Florence Marathon at the end of November.

The Herts 10k starts and finishes in Harpenden, and leaving Juliet and Hannah behind in the agreeable surroundings of Caffe Nero, I walked the half mile or so to the start on what was a mild October morning following some heavy overnight rain. A trainer from Nuffield Health and Fitness led an excellent warm up that got me feeling in fine fettle for the start, even though the complete lack of coordination in my attempts at some of the aerobics style exercises could come back to haunt me if they survive the cutting room for the video that was being made about the event. The camera seemed to be pointing at me for an awfully long time.

The first (and last) km of the race was through a damp and heavy grassy field, which was easy on the knees but very hard work for the muscles. The rest of the route passed along bridle paths and narrow country lanes, except for a short meander past some very desirable Harpenden houses, for which you'd be lucky to get much change out of a couple of million. There was one moderately challenging hill around the 4km mark, but otherwise the course was not too taxing except for the opening and closing sections.

I ran smoothly and comfortably through most of the race, only beginning to struggle a little between 8 and 9km. My legs seemed to have settled on a steady pace, and whenever I tried to speed up they would not respond. It was almost as if they were saying "look make, you're not exactly Mo Farah and what's more, you're 50 now so be realistic, we can cope at this speed without too much difficulty, but don't push your luck!"

Feeling good as I approach the finish line.
And so it unfolded. I was finally able to pick up my speed for a pleasingly strong finish cheered on by Juliet and Hannah, who had by now emerged from Caffe Nero, donned their wellies and made their way to the finishing straight. My time was 1:08:38, my second best of the year, although it somehow felt quicker than this. As such I do feel it was an encouraging step along the way to Florence. However, following Windsor that's now two distances I won't achieve a PB for during Project PB. That's a  disappointment on one level but when I consider that all 5 of my 10k times this year have been faster than any I recorded during the preceding three years, that makes my efforts feel more than worthwhile. I'm fitter at 50 than I was at 49, and therefore there's no reason I can't be fitter still when I'm 51. On top of which I have thoroughly enjoyed having a go at all of the races so far. 

Bring on the final three!


No comments:

Post a Comment