Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Project Five O-ver


"This was me aged two and a half in December 1963, 47 years ago. Cute, wasn't I?  OK, dodgy haircut I agree but cute in spite of it. It is now 1st January 2011, and I'm finding it hard to comprehend how quickly the intervening years have passed, but nevertheless here I am on the verge of a half century's occupancy of planet earth."

These were my opening words when I launched Project Five O just under a year ago. Well today is 28th December 2011 and 48 years have now passed since I waved coyly to the camera dressed dressed in my stripy pyjamas. I've actually made it to 50 (and slightly beyond), and the time has come for my final Project Five O post. It's a post I've approached with very mixed emotions. Writing this blog had been great fun, and has undoubtedly enabled me to feel much more positive about reaching 50 than I would have done without it. I am going to miss it tremendously, and in the month since my previous post following the Florence Marathon more than once I've toyed with the idea of keeping the blog going. But to do it well is time consuming, and my work year ahead is going to be even busier than the hectic lead up to Christmas I've just been through. Also Project Five O has had a definite focus, a central thread running through it, that 2012 won't have even though I fully intend to carry on running and taking part in events well into the future. Therefore, with a slightly heavy heart, I'm sticking to my original plan. This will be my final post, the natural end of Project Five O.

I'd like to think the blog has been a modest success, and if it has, it's because I've had such a great year in all respects. There's been plenty to write about. Running-wise, I haven't quite achieved my Project Five O targets. Apart from in the 5K, I haven't recorded new PBs, although the margin by which all of my 2011 times have been faster than those I achieved in 2010 has given me great pleasure and made me very proud of my efforts. On it's own, the ecstasy I felt at the end of the Florence Marathon has made it all worthwhile. I certainly trained hard during the year, and I'm delighted with my overall fitness. As I wrote back in July after the Regents Park 10K, I think the one area where I could have perhaps shown more dedication in is in my diet. Wine and chocolate have continued to prove too much of a temptation, in spite of the good intentions I articulated at that point. It's all about balance, though, isn't it? Lot's of exercise, and a reasonably healthy diet with the occasional naughty but nice element. Or in my case, substitute occasional with regular!

Just one more bit of running to report on. Florence wasn't quite the end of my running for the year. Two weeks later I took part in the Jingle Bell Jog, a 5K run through St Albans along with a few hundred others dressed in Santa costumes. The great thing about a 5K is that, being only a fraction over 3 miles, you can just go for it from the start, no need to worry too much about pacing yourself. For the purposes of authenticity in my role as Santa I downed a glass of red wine before the start, and sped off along St Peter Street as soon as Toyah Wilcox sounded the starting siren. Negotiating Christmas shoppers and having to wait to cross a number of busy roads makes this event very much a fun run rather than a serious race, but nevertheless I was very pleased to cross the line in just over 31 minutes, a full 4 minutes faster than last year although a couple of minutes slower than my Beat the Banana run back in May this year. Fantastic Fun! Sweaty too, thanks to the outfit!

The important requirement to take on fluid before the start
As well as the running, many other events have contributed to making 2011 such a wonderful year. Visits to four fascinating countries, a fantastic afternoon in the Sky Sports box at the Valley, busy times at home, interesting projects at work, I've loved it all. I've also enjoyed mining the photographic archives for the occasional nostalgia drenched trip down memory lane.

Thank you to everyone who has shared in these events with me, either by being there or by reading about them on my blog. I've greatly appreciated your kind feedback on my efforts. Thank you, it's lovely to know how much you have enjoyed reading about my adventures throughout the year. In particular, thank you to Juliet and Hannah, who have supported, encouraged and humoured me before, during and after my big Five O. It's alright being 50, it really is!

Best wishes to you all for a fabulous 2012.



2 comments:

  1. Well done Crispy, always an interesting read. Onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bring back your blog!

    We want more cringy family photos and updates on your groin!

    ReplyDelete