Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Big Five O


This was me aged two and a half in December 1963, 47 years ago. Cute, wasn't I? OK, dodgy haircut I agree but cute in spite of it. It is now 1st January 2011, and I'm finding it hard to comprehend how quickly the intervening years have passed, but nevertheless here I am on the verge of a half century's occupancy of planet earth.

A report featured in the news this week predicts that one in five of people alive today will live long enough to receive their telegram from the Queen (or for those not in the already in their 80s or 90s, from Charles, William or his first born). I think most of the realistic candidates for this feat are probably some years younger than myself, already with black belts in yoga or pilates and eating vast quantities of super foods. Nevertheless, assuming that I first make it to the 15th April 2011 in one piece, I hope I'll remain healthy enough to be able to make significant inroads into my second half century.

To kick start this endeavour I have set myself the goal of running a personal best (PB) during 2011 in each of the following distances:

5K, 10K, 10 miles, half marathon (13.1 miles) and full marathon (26.2 miles)

I started running about 7 years ago, having exercised very little after retiring from playing local football in my mid-thirties. I'm certainly no natural athlete and as you will discover if you decide to visit this blog regularly over the year, my existing PBs are far from spectacular. However I'm proud of them and trying to better them (in all but one case five years after having achieved them) is not going to be easy. It may even prove to be impossible, but it's going to be fun having a go. I am confident of bettering my best 5K time though, as I have only ever run the distance once and that was last month whilst dressed as Santa and suffering from a mild dose of 'flu.



Why are most of my PBs five years old? Well, time does take its toll on the old legs of course, but in truth, having got myself very lean and fit (for me!) by 2005/2006 I have since gradually lessened the regularity and intensity of my training and allowed my weight to creep back up, which has added minutes to every mile I run. Project Five O seeks to take me back to where I was fitness and speed-wise in 2006, and a little bit beyond.

I will reveal more about my planned schedule for 2011 and previous attempts at each distance over the coming weeks. My intention is also to intersperse news of my progress and preparations with reports and thought on other things going on in this landmark year for me. I also anticipate looking back on a range of events from my first half century as memories are triggered throughout the year. I'm hoping to create something fairly light-hearted and engaging, and aim to post at least one entry every week. Thanks for taking the time to read this opening salvo, and I hope you will return from time to time to find out how I'm getting on.






3 comments:

  1. Good Luck with the blog.
    I've put up a link on CC.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the blog and also your PBs. I do admire someone at this stage of life running as you do , the marathon i don't go that far on my holiday's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement Marco and Colin. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete