Friday, January 21, 2011

George Clooney and Me

It's been a busy week, and with the deadline to handover my current opus to the editor looming, my only entry for this week so far is going to be short and sweet.


My presence was required in Milton Keynes yesterday (I work for the Open University, but for the majority of the time work from home) so, in order to fit in a couple of miles on the treadmill at David Lloyd's before heading up the M1 I was out of bed and slurping my porridge at just after 6:00 am in the company of Bill and Sian on the BBC Breakfast. Anyway as they came towards the end of their review of the morning's newspapers, it transpired that Bill and Sian had some good tidings especially for me. Courtesy of the Daily Express. Well, kind of.






In the sort of non-story that would nevertheless still probably make the Sky 'Breaking News' banner on a slow day, it transpires that a survey has found that 50 is the age we finally find happiness. Not only that, a mere month after I reach this hitherto thought of as grim milestone, I will be joined in the half century club by none other than 'gorgeous' George Clooney. So it seems there was no need for me to feel gloomy about getting to 50 in the first place. The secret behind this enhanced happiness I am shortly to experience is explained by an unnamed spokesman for the survey's commissioners, Engage Mutual, whoever they might be:

“It is heartening that so many are finding that your 50s can be the most rewarding time of your life. With increased life expectancy, 50 is considered relatively young these days.
“If people have been able to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and plan their finances, they may start to feel the benefit.
“Household finances start to look healthier and there may be spare cash to spend on holidays and hobbies.”
These reasons seem fair enough for many people, probably myself included, and don't worry, I will be taking up stamp collecting and crochet just as soon as finances allow.
However, I feel the headline in the Express and the tone of the article is somewhat misleading in light of the survey's findings that, and I quote, 'the study found four out of 10 people aged 50 and over are more content with their lives than ever before'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that leaves six out of ten people over 50 who are not. OK, some of these may well be equally as content as they have been before, but four out of ten hardly merits the universal euphoria suggested by the headline.
What's more in the current economic climate, there may be many fifty somethings finding themselves out of work in the coming months, and finding it difficult to get another job. They might have something to say about Engage Mutual's survey findings.
As for George, I'm sure he will continue to flourish. And, urged on by the Daily Express, hopefully I will too. 
In other 'Breaking News' I have signed up for an additional running event, the Newham 10K at the end of March. The route passes right next to the Olympic Stadium - should be fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment