Monday, January 3, 2011

Highly Visible



Juliet (my wife) and Hannah (my daughter, age 11) returned from Bluewater yesterday with, amongst other things, this rather swanky set of scales. I salute their bravery in visiting the quarry at this time of year. It's not for the faint hearted - that's why I stayed at home.

So, it was time for my post-Christmas weigh-in, and I was somewhat alarmed (although shouldn't have been really after the truck load of chocolate themed items I've consumed over the festive season) to discover that I had put back on 4 of the 14 pounds I had so painstakingly shed since first conceiving Project Five O back at the beginning of October. Consequently, still some way off my optimum running weight of 11 and a half stone I decided it was necessary to go for my second run in two days.

Now there are some people who think I need to put on weight rather than lose it. Hi Mum! However, the difference being 11 and a half stone makes to the stress on my knees will be crucial if I am to have any chance of reaching my goals for the year. It is reckoned that every stride puts pressure equivalent to three times one's body weight on the knees, and as I will recount at some point over the coming weeks, my knees have let me down in the past.

The fact that dusk had long since passed by the time I made my decision to hit the streets also gave me the ideal opportunity to model my new hi viz running gear - a Christmas present from Juliet.



As the photo shows, the kit makes me look like a cross between a banana and Eddie the Eagle but more importantly it will help keep me safe. I completed a steady but satisfying three and a third mile run around the "Elvis Circuit", so named because it passes a bungalow in Smallford with a life-size cardboard cutout of the King resident in the porch. Whenever Juliet or I run past St Alban's very own Gracelands it has become customary to offer a smart salute to Elvis - one of those silly foibles that most people develop over time (I think!), but it always makes me smile, especially when it elicits a look of puzzlement from a passing motorist.

That's all I have time for today as I have promised to finish painting Hannah's bedroom before she goes back to school tomorrow, and we need to set off for the Valley by 3:00 pm for Charlton Athletic's game against Swindon at the Valley at the Sky determined time of 5:05 pm.


Just one more thing. Please feel free to add a comment to any of my posts. If you are new to this kind of thing (as I know one or two reading this will be) you just need to click on the comment link on the small rectangular box at the bottom of the page. When you've written your comment, you will need to choose a profile from the drop down menu. If you don't have one of the listed accounts, choose anonymous (you can add your name in the comment box if you wish), copy the wobbly 'security' letters into the box and submit.

Come on you Addicks!




No comments:

Post a Comment