Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nothing to be afraid of!

I was dreading turning 50. One of the reasons I decided to start Project Five O was to help me feel more positive about reaching an age that seemed just so, well, OLD. I know there's all this talk of 50 being the new 40, and with life expectancies lengthening all the time there is definitely an element of truth in it, but psychologically I had found it very difficult to even think about being 50. Well, having now passed over into the abyss, I am happy to report that it's not an abyss at all. I feel fine, happy even. I've just completed one of my running circuits (five and a half miles) in my fastest ever time, and I've been up and down the stairs countless times today without even the most fleeting thoughts of a Stannah stairlift entering my head. No, it's 17th April 2011, and I'm merely three days older and wiser than I was on the 14th. It's official, turning 50 is nothing to be afraid of!

Two birthday cards that I received sum things up very nicely and encapsulate my whole idea for Project Five O:

"50 today! You can't turn back the clock... But you can wind it up again."

"50 today! It's important to have a twinkle in your wrinkle!"

I've said this before but I'll say it again, I hope that you are enjoying reading my blog as much as I'm enjoying writing it.

I'm sure that my current joie de vivre has a lot to do with the lovely time I've had on Friday and Saturday, so many thanks to all concerned, and to Juliet and Hannah especially. My birthday itself on Friday was fairly quiet as we adjusted back to life in St Albans following our wonderful holiday in India, which I consider to have been an birthday event in any case. Nevertheless, the day was made special by being brought Bucks Fizz in bed followed by a delicious meal of bubble and squeak cakes with bacon, grilled tomato and poached egg at the Breakfast Club and in the evening a lovely dinner at my favourite St Albans restaurant, the Blue Anchor.

A great way to start the day
During the day I also learned about what had been organised for the following day. I had always said that I didn't want a party so being able to enjoy the facilities of an executive box to watch Charlton v Huddersfield at the Valley in the company of Juliet and Hannah, my Mum and Dad and all five of my brothers was the ideal celebration for me.

View from the Sky Sports Box

We arrived at the Valley at 12:30 and discovered that we had been allocated the Sky Sports box. Due to Charlton's slide down the divisions these past five years, televised games at the Valley are rare these days and the box is available for hire most weeks. Following a champagne reception, a tasty buffet and much jollity we were visited briefly by Charlton legend Colin Walsh. In the unlikely event any readers of this blog have not avidly followed the Charlton Athletic story over the past thirty years, on 5th December 1992 Colin scored the first goal for Charlton back at the Valley after their exile at Selhurst Park, a period that saw the club nearly cease to exist. As Colin pointed out, this feat is still celebrated by a banner adorning the back of the North Stand. He was friendliness itself and having my photograph taken with him added an extra layer of magic to the occasion.

Charlton legend, Colin Walsh who will be 50 next July
We were joined shortly before kick off by my fellow sufferer at home games Marcus, also known as Charlton Casual, and proceeded to watch one of the best displays I have seen Charlton put in for a long time. Unfortunately, the goal and the victory that would have made the occasion even more special just failed to materialise and, as has been the case more times than I care to remember this season, the opposition sneaked an undeserved goal to condemn the Addicks to yet another defeat. In spite of the result, everyone in our box seemed to enjoy the game and the event, no one more so than me.

A fantastic day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it. I think that performance gives us hope for the future. We can actually see some CP footballing philosophy in that performance. A twinkle in your wrinkle eh!. Like it!!!

    ReplyDelete