Sunday, April 24, 2011

Temporary Setback

It had all been going so well. Both of my first two training runs since returning from India had been completed in best ever times for the circuits involved, but as I set out on a gentle three miler early on Friday evening, something just didn't seem quite right. My legs were moving, but with absolutely no fluency and I felt completely drained of energy.

After about two miles I simply ground to a halt and had to walk the final mile back along the Alban Way, the first time I have not kept running for many, many months (frequently for much longer distances). Perhaps it was the effects of an unusually hot April day, or maybe the intoxicating polleny fragrances heavy in the air. Or more worryingly that my first two post-50 runs had been something of a swan song, and this was how things would be from now on.

The most likely reason became clearer yesterday morning, however, when I woke up to find the lymph glands in my neck a little swollen and a lumpy sensation in my throat when I swallowed. Currently taking a course of penicillin, Hannah was adamant that I too had fallen victim to tonsillitis and I guess she is probably right. Other than my lumpy throat, though, I felt OK and enjoyed our visit in the afternoon to Butterfly World on the outskirts of St Albans.

One of the themed gardens at Butterfly World

A beautiful inhabitant of the steamy butterfly enclosure
Overnight I started to feel quite shivery and, rather like a butterfly about to emerge from its chrysalis, increasing uncomfortable in my own skin. After a restless night with little sleep, I woke up feeling exhausted and in no fit state to attempt the six mile run I had planned.

After a snooze in the sunshine in the garden on a beautiful Easter Sunday, a longer sleep in bed during the afternoon and the healing power of a large chocolate easter Egg, I now feel a lot better although my glands are still swollen and I'll go to the doctors if they're still playing up on Tuesday. I'll also leave it a couple more days before going for my next run, and hopefully my preparations for the Beat the Banana 5K in Hyde Park on 12th May will not have been affected too badly.

I'm tempted to give Charlton's home game against Rochdale a miss tomorrow to avoid the inevitable strain on my vocal chords, but I just know that if I don't go Charlton will go on and win. This would be such a rare event of late that I don't think I want to take the risk of staying at home. Come on you reds!


1 comment:

  1. Look mate, if you aren't well would you mind sitting somewhere else tomorrow?
    Motty jr. probably has school the next day and we don't want him missing any of his important studies.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete